CORPORATE & FINANCE
Our corporate and finance practice focuses on providing practical and innovative legal solutions to a wide range of clients including financial institutions, global technology firms, SMEs, SACCOS, large national corporations, multinationals, and multi-lateral financial institutions, public and state corporations. We regularly advise on a range of complex transactions including mergers and acquisitions, equity and debt financing, infrastructure development and privatizations, conveyancing and legal and regulatory compliance.
We offer excellent, seamless service across the full spectrum of disciplines required to execute multifaceted transactions successfully. We offer our clients high quality, innovative and solution oriented advice which aligns with their goals.
We pride ourselves on our understanding of the corporate sector, and place great emphasis on maintaining proximity to the industry, with our partners having worked in the sector whether at regulator or service provider levels. Through this proximity, we are able to anticipate and advise on any commercial and technical issues that may arise in a transaction.
Three key features of our approach differentiate us; our client focus, multi-specialism and our regional strategy. Understanding, anticipating & satisfying the client’s individual legal need is, for us, a priority. The depth of our expertise enables us to advise on highly complex commercial transactions working closely with our other specialist groups.
Our corporate and commercial work is at the heart of our practice. We service a range of domestic and regional clients in every sector and advise on a broad spectrum of corporate and commercial work.
Our approach and our reputation mean that we:
- Keep abreast of recent development;
- Have experience in innovative transaction structures;
- Good working relationship with industry regulators, financial institutions and industry associations.
The KO team shares a commitment to providing our clients with the highest quality and most cost effective legal services in an atmosphere emphasizing teamwork, creativity, responsiveness and diversity. This commitment combined with our in-depth knowledge and experience in each of our practice areas allows us to deliver the highest level of service.
Our Representative Matters in Corporate Finance Practice Area include:
- Acting for Nordic Aviation Capital, a Global Leader in Regional Aircraft Leasing with a current fleet of over 350 aircraft valued in excess of 4 billion dollars, for a discharge of a debenture between Spar Nord A/S and Nordic Aviation.
- Acting for Sandhoe Investments in negotiation and completion of aircraft leasing agreements with 720 Investments/Fly Five-Forty Aviation.
- Retained by Safaricom Limited, the largest telecommunication services and mobile provider in Kenya, in their infrastructure and property management department to offer property advisory services, provide support services including drafting and review of the leases and licenses pertaining to their base stations all over the country. In addition, we offer regulatory compliance, representation in any contentious matters, and transaction advisory among other legal matters.
- Retained by the ICT Authority, a state agency tasked with the rationalization and streamlining of all Government of Kenya ICT functions, in all legal matters including transactional advisory, representation in contentious matters, regulatory review, policy analysis and company secretarial services. They have also retained us to perform their annual legal compliance audit with regard to Corporate Governance, Financial management, Procurement issues, Work Safety, Licenses and approvals & Policies and procedures. We were also retained to advice the Authority on a collaborative agreement setting the IBM Research Lab housed at Catholic University of Eastern Africa including contractual advisory, negotiation for renewal and actualization of the goals of the collaborative agreement, legal audit of the collaborative agreement as well as negotiation of the new terms of the contract.
- Advising Microsoft, the world’s leading producer of computer software, on their employment contracts and other matters including transactional advisory, representation in contentious matters, regulatory review, policy analysis and company secretarial services. Further retained to provide legal advice on employment matters and the implications of terminating the employment on the Company, review of agreements between Microsoft and other companies about the law on outsourcing contracts in Kenya, review of relevant laws and policies relating to use of technology in relation to mobile money transfer, mobile banking and e-payment compliance and risk management, research on the use of technology in; Public Traded Companies; Financial institutions; Health care providers and Public Sector entities, research on the obligations of companies/business entities in electronic services and transactions, and analyzing the risks involved in the use of information technology in conducting business in Kenya.
- Retained by Ecobank Kenya Limited, one of the leading Pan-African Banks, for all legal matters including their rights issue, transactional advisory, representation in contentious matters, regulatory review, policy analysis and company secretarial services.
- Retained by Gina Din Corporate Communications, the leading independent and indigenous strategic communications agency in East Africa, in all legal matters including transactional advisory, representation in contentious matters, regulatory review, policy analysis and company secretarial services.
- Retained by Kenya National Council for Law Reporting for to advice on all legal matters including transactional advisory, representation in contentious matters, regulatory review, and policy analysis and company secretarial services, to scrutinize the terms of the contract for the postpaid services between Airtel Networks Kenya Limited and the client.
- Retained by Pathologists Lancet Kenya Limited, the leading pathologists firm, in legal matters including transactional advisory, representation in contentious matters, regulatory review, policy analysis and company secretarial services.
- Retained by Liquid Telecom to provide legal advice on the Licensing, Legal and Compliance requirements for operations of Broadcasting services in Kenya.
- Retained by Intraget Kenya Limited, an SMS Gateway Provider, Mobile Aggregators and the providers of cutting edge mobile technology and the development of related services and products, in all legal matters including transactional advisory, representation in contentious matters, regulatory review, policy analysis and company secretarial services.
- Retained by Stratostaff EA Limited to offer advisory opinions including one to Thornton auditors as to the true position of the client in respect to their legal liabilities, reviewing and drafting a shareholder’s agreement, advisory to the client on the dismissal of an employee.
- Retained by Superfluids Labs Limited, a company that develops technology solutions by deploying analytics capabilities and proprietary technologies to banks, major retailers, insurance companies and telecommunications companies, in all legal matters including transactional advisory, representation in contentious matters, regulatory review, policy analysis and company secretarial services.
- Banking & Finance
- Commercial Contracts
- Employment Law
- General Corporate
- Legal & Regulatory Compliance
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private Equity
- Project Finance
- Property Development
- Real Estate
- Tax Advisory
- Aviation Industry Related Disputes
- Banking, Regulatory & Finance Disputes
- Commercial Disputes
- Competition Disputes
- Contractual Disputes
- Employment Disputes
- Energy, Transport & Infrastructure Disputes
- Financial Regulatory Disputes
- Real Estate Disputes
- Regulatory Compliance Disputes
- Restructuring & Insolvency Disputes
- Tax Related Disputes
- Technology, Telecommunication & Intellectual Property Disputes