CORPORATE & FINANCE SECTORS
Our Aviation, Asset Finance and Leasing law team is made up of asset finance, corporate, tax and dispute resolution practitioners. The combination of industry and private practice experience in the team means that we understand industry needs. We represent underwriters to major airlines as well as prominent airlines and leasing companies.
Our clients come to us for customized advice on:
- Structuring of aircraft leases and the rights of aircraft lessors and financiers.
- Advising on asset and corporate transactions for companies in the aviation sector, assisting on contentious and non-contentious matters and advising on domestic and international laws pertinent to aviation.
- Working with other technical and professional advisors in connection with related matters such as repossession, storage, inspection, maintenance, insurance, registration, remarketing, sale and delivery of aircraft and engines.
- Advising on Fintech and other disruptive technology in the financial industry.
- Drafting of financing and refinancing agreements
- Repurchase Agreements and Syndicated Loans.
- Drafting and standardization of banking documentation and forms and making regulatory applications.
- Drafting of securities such as debentures, charges, guarantees and liens.
- Advising on regulatory framework on private equity and venture capital funds and more specifically on in-structuring and exit strategies.
- Advisory services for compliance with Anti-Money Laundering legislation.
- Advising on Bonds, Term Notes, IPOs and other types of fund raising methods including planning and restructuring.
- Drafting of commercial contracts of all types and providing commercial legal advice to businesses.
- Purchase and sale of businesses and shares and other securities and related transaction advisory services, including advice on competition laws;
- Conducting pre-acquisition legal due diligence;
- Establishment of venture capital funds, unit trusts and all forms of Collective Investment Schemes.
- Franchise agreements, including all documents necessary to establish a new franchise, master license agreements, software license agreements and operations manuals.
- Incorporation of companies, registration of foreign companies in Kenya, registration of nongovernmental organizations, partnerships and limited liability partnerships.
- Advisory and drafting services on all areas on securities law, public offers and listings, privatizations, rights issues, equity and debt issues and continued listing and compliance.
- Advisory and drafting services for mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, shareholders’ agreements and all forms of corporate actions, structures and restructuring.
- Company Secretarial services.
Our client come to us for specialized:
- Advice on labour laws, entry (work) permits, passes and preparation of employment documentation.
- Advice on redundancies, retrenchments and dismissals coupled with employment dispute resolution.
- Advisory services on insurance and retirement benefi¬ts schemes.
- Advice on compliance with international and local labour laws and regulations including health and safety, work injury and benefits insurance.
- Setting up Employee Share Ownership Plans and executive compensation and incentive schemes.
- Advisory on employment contracts encompassing non-compete agreements.
- Facilitating immigration processes and work permit acquisition Further, we link with robust recruitment and talent search consultants builds our specialty and allows us a better understanding of the market and aids our clients in recruitments and retentions.
We offer a wide range of services in general corporate restructuring including:
- We issue expert opinion and advise based on a robust due diligence and audit report on the various entities of concern to aid in decision making.
- We carry out the necessary transactional steps towards realizing the creation and incorporation of the new structures.
- We advise on Capital raising, debt raising and private equity financing and facilitate by carrying out the necessary transactions.
- We offer advice on Debt restructuring.
- We offer co-ordination services for other advisers and professionals involves in the transaction to ensure a continuum and quick completion.
- We advise and issue proper exit strategy reviews to aid our clients make an informed decision.
- Advise to both investors and investees venturing in the PE market in domestic and crossborder transactions.
- We offer legal advisory on investment and divestment planning, structuring as well as execution.
- We negotiate, draft, review, and advise on the suitability of standard legal documents;
- Advise to clients and provide further insight into the regulatory framework in their respective sectors with regard to private equity and venture capital funding.
- We offer advice to prospective investees and aid in sourcing funds that look to invest in various entities.
- We offer a robust due diligence services and aid in mitigating risk by highlighting the concerns for our clients to make informed commercial decisions.
We offer prime services in the following regard:
- We advise on the capital raising process by acting for our clients in the contractual negotiations to ensure that the basis certain and conducive in actualizing our client’s financial needs.
- We advise on debt structuring to enable our client have certainty in financing and securitization of the same.
- Principally, we are involved in the actualization and documentation including the creation of special purpose commercial vehicles to actualize the project.
- We offer co-ordination services for other advisers and professionals involved in the transaction to ensure expedient completion.
- We carry out deal monitoring post the contractual stage and through its execution.
We are the property development legal advisors of choice for our clients for:
- Advising clients on all aspects of Kenyan land laws, construction laws, and laws governing property acquisition, changes in land laws, new land office procedures.
- Acting for developers and sellers by drafting sale agreements, charges, advising on buyer requirements, drafting and negotiating unit sale and lease agreements, drafting and negotiating any corporate and shareholder agreements where relevant.
- Advising developers on private land use and land developments.
- Acting for clients in real estate property litigation.
- Acting for developers and purchasers of commercial and residential properties in the acquisition and disposal of property and the setting up of Management Companies.
- Advising on Real Estate project development, financing and joint ventures.
- Acting for clients during sale, subdivision, leases, transfers, mortgages, charges, cautions, caveats, easements, change of user, licenses, powers of attorney, rectification of title, extension of Government leases, trusts relating to land, rights of access, and all aspects of property acquisition and development;
- Advising on acquisition and sale of land, conduct due diligence, negotiate agreements on behalf of clients and draft contracts suited to client’s needs;
- Advising on services to real estate developers, investors, lenders, and business users in the acquisition, development, financing, sale and leasing of real estate;
- Drafting of necessary legal documentation specific to each real estate transaction;
- Applying for and obtaining the various consents required under the law as well as paying land rent and rates on behalf of clients;
Our real estate practice group handles all types of commercial, agricultural and residential transactions from the straightforward to the extremely complex matters throughout Kenya. KO has extensive experience in drafting and negotiating complex real estate contracts, in projects ranging from shopping center developments to office towers to health care facilities. We have also been engaged to handle numerous complex ground lease transactions, some involving publicly traded companies such as Safaricom among others. KO Advocates have frequently been engaged to draft and negotiate sophisticated lease agreements in Kenya.
Major areas of Concentration include:
- Commercial, sale, sale-leaseback, lease and lending transactions.
- Private land use and land developments.
- Conversion and subdivision.
- Real property litigation.
- Tax assessment protests.
- Contract negotiations.
- Land/tenant matters.
- Easements, right of way and boundary agreements.
Out of the consideration of tax as a large expenditure component we offer:
- Advisory in Transfer Pricing including the business implication of transfer pricing.
- Cross-border tax structuring and planning that is beneficial to the going concern of the corporate client.
- Advisory on Intellectual property planning and migration tax implications.
- Advisory on structuring towards an IPO and the tax implication thereto.