TECHNOLOGY, MEDIA & TELECOMMUNICATIONS
Global technology firms, major media houses and telecommunications companies and financial institutions rely on our TMT team to provide specialist legal services. This is because we bring the right mix of industry practice, Government networks and experience to their most challenging and complex legal, regulatory and compliance issues. We invest time to understand our client’s strategic objectives, offering relevant and practical advice. We have distinguished ourselves as one of the leading TMT law firms in Kenya.
We offer our clients high quality, innovative and solution oriented advice which aligns with their goals. We pride ourselves on our understanding of the TMT sector, and place great emphasis on maintaining proximity and developments in the industry. We are able to anticipate and advise on any commercial and technical issues that may arise in a transaction.
Three key features of our approach differentiate us; our client focus, innovativeness and our regional strategy. Understanding, anticipating & satisfying the client’s individual legal need is, for us, a priority.
We offer innovative legal solutions while providing full service to our clients. We provide a comprehensive, international service to TMT clients whether locally or through our network of lawyers in other jurisdictions. Our lawyers have a deep understanding of the telecoms sector and extensive knowledge of the requirements on licensing, compliance, infrastructure location and sharing and financing projects. We advise on cross sector issues such as money laundering, mobile money services, consumer protection and the requirements of competition laws to ensure that our clients operate within the right legislative and policy framework and in compliance with any and all regulatory requirements.
We keenly follow changes and global developments in Information Technology and the law to give our clients innovative, effective and timely solutions. We are actively involved with regulators, government agencies and policy making institutions to ensure the policies that affect the sector are legally sound and create an environment for the Technology sector to thrive in Kenya.
The KO team shares a commitment to providing our clients with the highest quality and most cost effective legal services in an atmosphere emphasizing teamwork, creativity, responsiveness and diversity. This commitment combined with our in-depth knowledge and experience in each of our practice areas allows us to deliver the highest level of service.
We act for a number of leading multinational technology companies and disruptive technology companies. Our representative matters in TMT include:
- Advising Safaricom Limited, the largest telecommunication services and mobile provider in Kenya on all legal matters including regulatory compliance, representation in contentious matters, transaction advisory, intellectual property, employment law, competition law and drafting and review of the leases and licenses.
- Advising the ICT Authority, a state agency tasked with the rationalization and streamlining of all Government of Kenya ICT functions, in all legal matters including transactional advisory, representation in contentious matters, regulatory review, policy analysis and company secretarial services.
- Advising Liquid Telecom, a major player in the telecommunication sector, in all legal matters including regulatory compliance, competition law, service operations solutions, ICT infrastructure, negotiations, drafting and review of various telecommunication agreements and business continuity services.
- Advising the leading multinational technology company specializing in Internet-related services and products including online advertising technologies, search, cloud computing, software, and hardware, in all legal issues including, regulatory and compliance, representation in contentious matters, transaction advisory, intellectual property, regulatory review and policy analysis and competition law.
- Advising Radio Africa Group, a top Radio, TV and Newspaper Media House in the region, in all legal issues including transactional advisory, representation in contentious matters, license applications, media house acquisitions and regulatory review and policy analysis.
- Acting for Standard Group Limited, a leading publishing and broadcasting businesses in Kenya; through print media, TV and Radio Broadcasting, outdoor advertising and digital media, in representation in contentious matters, regulatory compliance and business continuity services.
- Acted for TESPOK in preparation of RFQ and preparation of the tender for the hosting of the Kenya Internet Exchange Point (KIXP); Advised on data protection & confidentiality, regulatory compliance and intellectual property.
- Acted for the East African Community Secretariat by conducting in depth analysis of relevant laws, EAC Treaty and other EAC Instruments necessary to develop a legal framework for co-operation of Partner States in developing a region-wide Broadband Infrastructure Network
- Advising Konza Technologies Development Authority (KoTDA), which is responsible for overseeing the development and management of Konza City, and for establishing a strong value proposition for businesses to locate and expand in Konza, in all their legal issues including, preparation of service level agreements, regulatory compliance, policy analysis, regulatory review, ICT infrastructure, company secretarial services and legislative drafting.
- Advising Argon Telecom Services Limited, a recent entrant in the Kenyan telecommunication sector offering various services in the market. Our scope of work includes regulatory compliance, competition law, service operations solutions, ICT infrastructure, negotiations, drafting and review of various telecommunication agreements and business continuity services.
- Advising Consolidated Bank of Kenya, on legal and regulatory issues around Mobile and Internet banking and security policies.
- Advising the leading global rideshare company on business set up and operations in rideshare technology in Kenya, compliance with relevant national laws and county government laws and regulations.
- Biotech & Medical Law
- Consumer Protection & Competition Law
- Intellectual Property
- Financial Regulatory Disputes
- Aviation Industry Related Disputes
- Banking, Regulatory & Finance Disputes
- Commercial Disputes
- Competition Disputes
- Contractual Disputes
- Employment Disputes
- Energy, Transport & Infrastructure Disputes
- Financial Regulatory Disputes
- Real Estate Disputes
- Regulatory Compliance Disputes
- Restructuring & Insolvency Disputes
- Tax Related Disputes
- Technology, Telecommunication & Intellectual Property Disputes